This is my coconut yoghurt recipe. It might seem long and complex, but honestly, it’s really simple! Try it – you’ll love it!
6 cups coconut milk (make this your self with coconut flakes and water)
1 medium can of coconut milk
half a vanilla bean pod
3 tablespoons of natural gelatin
a yoghurt culture
if you like is sweetened, stevia (optional)
Equipment you’ll need
3 glass mason jars with tight seal lids
1. Make the coconut milk using the flakes (start this the night before to allow for soaking)
2. Put the homemade coconut milk into a saucepan, add on top the can of coconut milk and the vanilla pod (beans and pod). Put in the thermometer and monitor closely until you hit 180 degrees. This will take around about 20 minutes. Keep whisking to make sure none of it sticks or burns. As soon as you hit 180 degrees (which will take about 45 minutes), move the pan away from the heat and monitor until it cools to 100 degrees.
3. Once you’re at 100 degrees, take out the vanilla pod and pour about a cup of the mixture into a container. Add the starter culture to this container and whisk thoroughly. Once it’s mixed in add this back into the main pan of coconut yoghurt and mix in really well using the whisk.
4. Preheat your oven to warm, then turn it off as soon as it’s got the the warm temperature.
5. Extract about a cup’s worth of the mixxture and put it in a mason jar.
6. Gradually mix the gelatin into the remainder of the coconut milk mixture until it is 100% dissolved. Now, spoon the mixture into the mason jars.
7. Transfer the jars to the oven (which is now off), and leave to sit overnight.
8. The following morning you can move the jars from the oven to the fridge to make sure the gelatin can harden-up.
9. After three hours, remove the jars and empty them all into your blender, and blend them together.Add stevia now, if you’re using it.
10. Serve and enjoy!